Thank you for your interest in becoming a part of the RYLA team. We are looking forward to another great year and looking for people who are willing and able to carry-on and build-on the previous years. RYLA needs people who are ready to facilitate the “RYLA magic” for young people.
Rotarians are paired with Counselors for each small group. It is the Counselor’s role to lead the small group and the Rotarian’s role to assist, observe the group dynamics, participate when appropriate, and support the Counselor.
The Rotarian approval process begins by completing an application. You must
- Complete the online application below and click “Submit”.
- Submit your application by April 30, please.
- Attend the training session and conference on the dates shown in the application.
- Once selected, follow the steps below to fulfill the requirements of the Youth Protection Policy.
To enable youth to continue to develop their leadership development and to ensure the fullfillment of the goals for the RYLA conferees, RYLA will hold a mandatory Rotarian and Counselor training session (date and place included in the application). You must attend this training to be a Rotarian at RYLA.
Rotarians are expected to be selected by May 15. Thank you for your interest and involvement in RYLA.
Rotary is required to perform a background check annually on every adult volunteer involved with RYLA. This means everyone who will be age 18 or over by on or before July 17 must authorize a background check.
RYLA pays for the cost of the background check.
Once you have been selected, you will either need to validate that you have already been checked (for Youth Exchange, for example) or complete the documents authorizing a background check as follows:
- Give your approval for a background check in accordance with Rotary International policy for the protection of youth participating in Rotary youth programs, by completing the Youth Protection Affidavit, following the instructions on the form.
- Complete the Iowa Department of Human Services form, Authorization for Release of Child Abuse Information, sign it and send the original to Rotary District Youth Protection Officer, Tina Meth Farrington by mail to her as she DHS requires your original signature.
The Rotary District Youth Protection Officer is the only person that will see your affidavit and Authorization for Release of Child Abuse Information form and receive the results of the records search. The Youth Protection Officer will then notify the Club President of the applicant’s club and the RYLA Committee Chair only that the applicant is accepted or declined as a youth volunteer.
Please respond promptly when asked to complete youth protection forms.
Thank you for being willing to subject yourselves to this necessary process.
Rotarian Application (This application is for Rotary members. RYLA applicants, sophomores and juniors), go to bottom of the page here-RYLA. YRYLA applicants, 7th and 8th graders, go to bottom of the page here-YRYLA.)
For your biographical sketch, which will be used in the conference manual, be creative. However, if you want a hint, here’s a link to a sample bio.